It belongs to the North German language group and is closely related to Swedish and Danish. Norwegian is the official language of Norway and is also used in the United States, Canada and Sweden.
Littera Translation Agency provides a wide array of translation services into Norwegian, listed at the end of this article.
How Many People Speak Norwegian
4.7 million people worldwide speak Norwegian.
A Bit of History
Norwegian, Swedish and Danish are derived from the Old Norse language used by the Vikings living in the Scandinavian territories. The Old Norse language was based on the runes alphabet, so it did not undergo major changes, and modern Norwegian developed until the 14th century, when languages began to gradually differ from one another.
It is believed that in 872 the King Harald I Fairhair declared Norway as a single territory first. In the 11th century, Christianity was introduced in Norway, which also led to the introduction of the Latin alphabet. The development of the Norwegian language was strongly influenced by the unification of Norway and Denmark in 1380. Danish was declared the official language of the Union.
During the period from the 16th to the 19th century, the Danish language was partially adopted and adapted to the Norwegian language, as a result Norwegian (Bokmål) or ‘book language’ was created. It was based on Danish vocabulary and grammar and Norwegian phonetics. In the 19th century the New Norwegian language (Nynorsk) was also created. In modern Norway, both Norwegian Bokmål and New Norwegian Nynorsk are used – both are taught at school and used in the mass media. Even today, Danes and Norwegians understand each other even when they speak their own language.
The Norwegian alphabet consists of 29 letters.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z Æ Ø Å
Writing Examples in Norwegian:
- Hello! – Hei
- Good morning! – God morgen
- Good afternoon! – God ettermiddag
- Good evening! – God kveld
- Welcome! – Velkommen
- Hello, my friend! – Hei, vennen min!
- How are you? (friendly) – Hvordan går det
- I’m fine thanks! – Jeg har det bra!
- What’s your name? – Hva heter du
- How do you say “thank you” in Norwegian? – Hvordan sier du “takk” på norsk?
Norwegian Translation Services
Norwegian translation services are very popular, but the most popular combination is the translation from Norwegian to English and from Swedish to Norwegian. Due to the increasing workforce flow to Scandinavia, Norwegian translation services have become increasingly important in the daily life of the Littera Translation Agency.
Official Norwegian Translation of Documents: When is it Needed?
This service is required to process various sources:
- contracts and agreements;
- project estimate documents;
- scientific research works,
- passports and birth certificates;
- marriage and divorce certificates,
- marriage contracts;
- documents for receiving inheritance;
- court documents;
Professional Human Norwegian Translation Services
Littera translation agency provides professional human Norwegian translation services more than 10 years. It should be understood that not only the translation of documents from Swedish into Norwegian is relevant, but also vice versa and other language combinations like French, German, Italian, Spanish and others. In our Agency you can not only translate a website or document from English to Norwegian or English to Norwegian or any other language, but also legalize it by ordering notarization or just an Apostille. In Littera Translation Agency you can order translations in many languages.
Important! We select a suitable and professional linguist based on the content of the source material and the final target language. Professional translators use modern translators’ tools and new technologies to preserve the same terminology throughout the project and provide a professional result. To exclude all kinds of errors and inaccuracies a professional editor reads the translation after it is finished.
A Norwegian translator is available at Littera Translation Agency. We work with about 20 Norwegian translators and proofreaders.
We can help you with Norwegian to English translation! We work with more than 80 world languages, as well. Ask our manager for your language pair.
You can look at the costs for Norwegian translation services in the “Translation prices“ section.
Our Most Frequently Used Norwegian Translations:
- English – Norwegian
- Lithuanian – Norwegian
- Swedish – Norwegian
- German – Norwegian
- French – Norwegian
- Czech – Norwegian
- Latvian – Norwegian
- Finnish – Norwegian
- Russian– Norwegian
- Danish – Norwegian
- Estonian – Norwegian
Translation Services are Provided:
- certified translation English to Norwegian
- official translation Norwegian to English
- certified Norwegian to English translator
- translate a document from English to Norwegian
- English to Norwegian translation services
- notarized translation Norwegian to English
- localization of software into Norwegian
- localization of games into Norwegian
- localization of sites into Norwegian
- editing into/from Norwegian
- medical translation into/from Norwegian
- translation of science into/from Norwegian
- literature translation into/from Norwegian
- translation of poetry into/from Norwegian
- translation of books into/from Norwegian
We guarantee full confidentiality of your documents because we work under NDA agreements (non- disclosure) with our translators and other suppliers. Clients are safe with us.
To do this, fill in the online form provided on the website or call Littera today!