What is localization and why is it needed?
Localization is the process of adapting a translation to the culture of a certain country, and, specifically, the translation of sites, software, games, user interfaces, documents and service files. For example, the localization of games is distinguished by a deeper and more time-consuming work, which includes the translation of text, audio and video files.
Having a local version of the software is a prerequisite for successful operation in the national or local market. Top quality and timely localization will multiply the revenue from the funds invested in the process, however, it can only be implemented by experienced professionals of the field (translators, editors, engineers, layout designers). In addition to the standard translation of the program into Latvian, Russian or other languages, the procedure includes a number of additional actions related to cultural and technical adaptation:
- modification of date and time parameters, fractional numbers;
- switching to the international system of currency and phone codes;
- careful selection of lists alphabetically;
- registration of the properties of national legislation (data of legal entities in a particular country, number of characters in the index);
- precise distribution and formation of interface components;
- combination of words and phrases;
- analysis of national mentality, character, study of the specifics of the humour of a particular country (when localizing a computer game);
- creating graphics taking into account the habits and customs of the country.
How does the localization process performed?
As a rule, this process takes place in close collaboration with programmers or managers of the customer. Our translators can work with different types of files such as JSON, XML, Markdown, HTML, YAML, PO, XLIFF, properties, resx, csv and others.
We can localize all software elements, texts, lines, dialogs and icons. We can even create localized versions of software without requiring access to the source text files or the development environment used to develop the software.
Localization stages of games and software
- study of technical potential. The possible difficulties and problems that may arise during the work are analysed.
- translation and its adaptation. At this stage, glossaries are compiled, the text is exported, the interface and service notices are translated.
- testing and tuning. Translators and technicians interact directly to regulate software localization.
- localization. Creation of screenshots from localized software and introducing them into the translation files of software documentation.
- delivery of the project.
The difference between translation and localization
Localization is first of all:
- translation and adaptation of the content to the culture and characteristics of the country;
- adaptation to regional characteristics;
- suitable for very emotional content;
- considers cultural and functional requirements.
What may require localization:
- online help;
- technical instructions;
- marketing instructions and materials;
- user interfaces;
- service materials;
- warranty materials.
Our translation agency Littera monitors the quality of work at each stage, including automatic checks, because as professionals we know the devil is in the details. We will meet the quality standards of even the most demanding customers!
We guarantee a quality result!